The First 50, a checklist
The following list contains only those titles appearing in the sequence beginning with Jonathan Williams’ Garbage Litters the Iron Face of the Sun’s Child (Jargon 1). Jargon Society postcards, broadsides, billboards and other ephemeral items are not included.
1. Williams, Jonathan. GARBAGE LITTERS THE IRON FACE OF THE SUN’S CHILD
(San Francisco): Jargon, 1951
First edition, 4″ x 13″ broadside folded twice to make a 4″ x 5″ leaflet, engraving by David Ruff, 50 copies. Printed by David Ruff at The Print Workshop. Published as Jargon 1. (Jaffe A4)
[not in archive]
2. Oppenheimer, Joel. THE DANCER
Highlands: Jargon, 1951
First edition, illustration by Robert Rauschenberg, 150 copies. Printed at the The Sad Devil Press, Black Mountain College. Published as Jargon 2.
[not in archive]
3. Williams, Jonathan. RED / GRAY
Black Mountain, 1952
Drawings by Paul Ellsworth, 100 copies.
4. Kalos, Victor. THE DOUBLE-BACKED BEAST
Black Mountain, 1952
Drawings by Dan Rice, 25 copies.
5. Williams, Jonathan. FOUR STOPPAGES / A CONFIGURATION
Drawings by Charles Oscar, 200 copies.
6. Patchen, Kenneth. FABLES & OTHER LITTLES TALES
7. Olson, Charles. THE MAXIMUS POEMS / 1-10
Calligraphy by Jonathan Williams, 300 copies, 9″ x 12″, 46 pages plus prospectus by Creeley.
8. Creeley, Robert. THE IMMORAL PROPOSITION
Drawings by René Laubiès, 200 copies, 15 pages.
9. Olson, Charles. THE MAXIMUS POEMS / 11-22
Calligraphy by Jonathan Williams, 350 copies.
10. Creeley, Robert. ALL THAT IS LOVELY IN MEN
Asheville: Jonathan Williams – Publisher, 1955
First edition, perfect bound in illustrated wrappers, drawings by Dan Rice, photograph by Jonathan Williams, 6″ x 8″, 44 pages, 200 copies. Signed by Creeley and Rice on the colophon. Printed by the Biltmore Press. Published as Jargon 10. (Novik A6)
11. Patchen, Kenneth. POEM-SCAPES
12. Zukofsky, Louis. A TEST OF POETRY
New York, 1964.
13a. Williams, Jonathan. AMEN / HUZZA / SELAH
Black Mountain, 1960
“A Preface?” by Louis Zukofsky. Photographs by Jonathan Williams.
13b. Williams, Jonathan. ELEGIES AND CELEBRATIONS
Preface by Robert Duncan. Photographs by Aaron Siskind and Jonathan Williams.
13c. Williams, Jonathan. JAMMIN’ THE GREEK SCENE
Nota by Charles Olson. Drawings by Fielding Dawson. James Jaffe notes, “Approximately 4 proof copies were produced for a projected edition of 300 copies, but the book, with a cover designed by Fielding Dawson, was never published.” Karlsruhe, 1959.
14. Duncan, Robert. LETTERS: POEMS 1953-1956
Drawings by Robert Duncan.
15. Zukofsky, Louis. SOME TIME
A song setting on the cover by Celia Zukofsky.
16. Oppenheimer, Joel. THE DUTIFUL SON
Frontispiece by Joseph Fiore.
17. Perkoff, Stuart Z. THE SUICIDE ROOM
Drawing by Fielding Dawson. Photograph by Charles Kessler.
18. Irving Layton. THE IMPROVED BINOCULARS
Introduction by William Carlos Williams. Second edition includes thirty additional poems.
19. Denise Levertov. OVERLAND TO THE ISLANDS
Drawings by Al Kresch. Calligraphy by Jonathan Williams.
20. Michael McClure. PASSAGE
Big Sur: Jonathan Williams – Publisher, 1956
First edition, sewn wrappers, 7.25? x 10.75?, 12 pages, 200 copies. Cover by Jonathan Williams. Published as Jargon 20. Printed by the Windhover Press. (Clements A1)
21. Kenneth Patchen. HURRAH FOR ANYTHING
Drawings by Kenneth Patchen.
22. Henry Miller. THE RED NOTEBOOK
Drawings by Henry Miller. Phorograph by Wynn Bullock.
23. Mina Loy. LUNAR BAEDEKER AND TIME-TABLES
Introductions by William Carlos Williams, Kenneth Rexroth and Denise Levertov. Drawings by Emerson Woelffer.
24. Charles Olson. THE MAXIMUS POEMS
New York, 1960
Photograph by Frederick Sommer. Published in association with Corinth Books.
25. Paul C. Metcalf. WILL WEST
26. Robert Creeley. THE WHIP
Cover design by René Laubiès. Drawings by Kirsten Hoeck.
27. Peyton Houston. SONNET VARIATIONS
Photograph by Henry Holmes Smith.
28. Irving Layton. A LAUGHTER IN THE MIND
Photograph by Frederick Sommer.
29. Bob Brown. 1450-1950
New York, 1959
Photograph by Jonathan Williams.
30. Jonathan Williams. THE EMPIRE FINALS AT VERONA
Drawings and collage by Fielding Dawson.
31. Williams, Jonathan ed. 14 POETS, 1 ARTIST
New York, 1958
Drawings by Fielding Dawson. Contributors include Paul Blackburn, Bob Brown, Edward Dahlberg, Max Finstein, Allen Ginsberg, Paul Goodman, Denise Levertov, Walter Lowenfels, Edward Marshall, E.A. Navaretta, Joel Oppenheimer, Gilbert Sorrentino, Jonathan Williams and Louis Zukofsky.
32. Walter Lowenfels. SOME DEATHS
Introduction by Jonathan Williams. Photographs by Robert Schiller.
33. Robert Creeley. A FORM OF WOMEN
New York, 1959
Photograph by Robert Schiller. Published in association with Corinth Books.
34. Bob Brown. THE SELECTED POEMS
Introduction by Kay Boyle. Drawing by Reuben Nakian. Jargon 34 was projected but never published.
35. Irving Layton. A RED CARPET FOR THE SUN
Photograph by Harry Callahan.
36. Larry Eigner. ON MY EYES
Introduction by Denise Levertov. Photographs by Harry Callahan.
37. Russell Edson. WHAT A MAN CAN SEE
Drawings by Ray Johnson.
38. Giuseppe Gioachino Belli. THE ROMAN SONNETS
Translated by Harold Norse. Preface by William Carlos Williams. Introduction by Alberto Moravia. Cover by Ray Johnson. Collage by Jean-Jacques Lebel.
39. Jonathan Williams. LORD! LORD! LORD!: TRADITIONAL FUNERAL MUSIC
Handset and printed “for the friends of the Jargon Press” by Igal Roodenko.
40. Gilbert Sorrentino. THE DARKNESS SURROUNDS US
Introduction by Joel Oppenheimer. Collage and drawings by Fielding Dawson.
41. Lou Harrison. THREE CHORUSES FROM OPERA LIBRETTI
Jargon’s Christmas in 1960
42. Ronald Johnson. A LINE OF POETRY, A ROW OF TREES
Drawings by Thomas George. Printed by the Auerhahn Press, San Francisco.
43. Paul C. Metcalf. GENOA: A TELLING OF WONDERS
Iconography by Jonathan Williams.
44. Buckminster Fuller. UNTITLED EPIC POEM ON THE HISTORY OF INDUSTRIALIZATION
Introduction by Russell Davenport.
45. Sherwood Anderson. SIX MID-AMERICAN CHANTS
Photographs by Art Sinsabaugh. Preface by Edward Dahlberg. Postface by Frederick Eckman
46. Guy Davenport. FLOWERS AND LEAVES
Photograph by Ralph Eugene Meatyard.
47. Merle Hoyleman. Letters to Christopher
Introduction by George Marion O’Donnell. Jargon 47 was projected but never published.
48. Lorine Niedecker. TENDERNESS & GRISTLE: THE COLLECTED POEMS (1936-1966)
Plant prints by A. Doyle Moore.
49. Alfred Hamilton Starr. POEMS
Introduction by Geof Hewitt. Drawings by Philip Van Aver. Photograph by Simpson Kalisher.
50. Doris Ulmann. THE APPALACHIAN PHOTOGRAPHS OF DORIS ULMANN
Introduction by John Jacob Nies. Preface by Jonathan Williams.
A Jargon Society Checklist
Books & Company 1979
Jargon at Forty: 1951-1991